Vegan Cauliflower Tacos
Oh I love all the great inspiration out there! After happening upon a recipe from Forks Over Knives, I took what I had on hand in the remote mountains, made some adjustments and, voila! these cauliflower tacos were DELICIOUS! Best of all, they took less than 30 minutes. So more time to enjoy summer, YES!
Easy Vegan Cauliflower Tacos
For the Cauliflower:
1 head cauliflower, rinsed, patted dry and cut into florets
1 cup almond milk (or nut milk of choice)
1 cup almond flour (or sub quinoa flour)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1) preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Combine milk, flour, and seasonings in a large bowl. Add cauliflower florets and mix to coat.
3) Distribute cauliflower evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tender. Once cooked, set aside to cool.
4) While the cauliflower cooks, make the chickpea-avocado mash.
For the Chickpea-Avocado Mash:
1 can organic chickpeas, drained, rinsed and peeled (if time allows)
1 Tbsp minced shallot
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced finely
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
Himalayan salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1) Scoop avocado flesh and put in a mixing bowl. Add chickpeas and, using the back of a fork, mash avocado and chickpeas until coarse but smooth (as pictured).
2) Add remaining ingredients and combine.
To serve Tacos:
12 small corn tortillas, use organic, non-GMO verified and with minimal ingredients
Coconut oil, for the griddle
Fresh organic white corn, cut from the cob, for garnish
Cilantro, chopped for garnish
1) Heat a griddle with about a teaspoon of coconut oil and, once hot, warm corn tortillas, about 1 minute each side,
2) Assemble tacos by adding cauliflower first, then mash, then garnishes. You can get creative here...go for it!
Cauliflower is a true superfood because it is delicious, nutritious, and can be made into everything from pizza crust, pasta sauce, smoothies...to tacos!...the possibilities seem endless :) What makes it especially appealing is that it's true food medicine, if you can call it that ;) Cauliflower contains a sulfur compound that's believed to slow tumor growth. Add that to a long list of benefits including anti-inflammatory, antioxidant-rich, detoxifying, and (my favorite) full of fiber. Combining it with turmeric (curcumin) - as done here - further enhances its health benefits.
One study found that adding just one serving of cauliflower per week lowered the risk of prostate cancer by 52%, Woah! If that isn't reason enough to try this easy recipe....! SO quick and SO yummy.